Councillor calls for review of Leeds primary school place fiasco

Photo for illustrative purposes

Photo for illustrative purposes

By Michael Berriman

Leeds City Council have called for a review after a fiasco led to nearly 90 families not being granted any of their five primary school preferences earlier this year.

Councillor Alan Lamb, for Wetherby, has submitted a white paper to the Leeds City Council meeting on Wednesday which calls for the Director of Child Services to review how places are allocated.

The news follows a rally by Leeds parents in May to display their frustration at the lack of primary school places in north Leeds. The Council have since worked with schools in the north of the city to create extra places for children starting in September.

Farah Smith, 36, is a PTA member at Wigton Moor Primary School where the intake has increased. She said: “It broadens the catchment area and will create more jobs. Under the circumstances it is the best solution but because it is a small school there are still concerns.

“I don’t understand how it will work for just one year. If I was a parent sending my child next year I would be worried what will happen when they get to year one.”

Councillor Judith Blake, leader of Leeds City Council said: “We are continuing to progress negotiations with other local schools and will continue our work to determine a longer term solution for the demand pressures in the area.”

More updates to follow.

Comments are closed.