Victims of Savile abuse left “angry and disappointed” by High Court ruling

Jimmy Savile, of Leeds, died aged 84 on October 29, 2011.

Jimmy Savile, of Leeds, died aged 84 on October 29, 2011.

By Joseph Keith

The Jimmy Savile Charitable Trust is set to to challenge pay-outs to people who were assaulted by the former DJ.

A High Court ruling last week granted the trust a hearing at the Court of Appeal which may block victims from receiving compensation through a previously agreed scheme.

Liz Dux, abuse lawyer at Slater & Gordon who represent 176 of Savile’s victims, said: “The victims will be left angry and disappointed by this decision. It is a massive set back to those people abused by Savile – they have already waited far too long for justice.

The appeal is expected to be heard between September and January and Ms Dux said the trust offered no explanation as to why it objected to the scheme because, although it controls £3.7m, it is separate to the Savile estate and no money can be paid from the charitable trust to compensate victims.

A compensation scheme had been drafted – by QC’s representing interested parties which included the NHS and the BBC – and approved by a judge at the High Court following a week-long hearing in February.

Savile’s sex assault victims are thought to add up to more than 200 people over a 60-year period.

Through the scheme, victims are able to claim compensation – capped at £60,000 – by responding to adverts in newspapers.

Ms Dux said the scheme was a pragmatic and sensible solution to what would otherwise be a long and expensive process.

She said: “Even now we and the victims remain in the dark. The victims deserve redress and closure. They have suffered enough. We urge the Court of Appeal to back the original scheme as previously agreed so this process can move towards a much-desired conclusion.”

Comments are closed.